Sunday, February 21, 2010

Day 7 - His Compassions Never Fail

As today is Sunday, our team had the honor and privilege of worshipping at the church of our host pastor, Gerald Bataille. This church has only walls, and several hundred people, including the pastor and his family, have been camping there since the quake. Pastor Bataille and his family have been serving orphaned and vulnerable children since 1988, and have raised over 100 children. Twenty seven of these have completed university.

Pastor Bataille prepares to preach this morning.

After the service, we were able to visit one of the homes operated by the Batailles, and see the preparations to serve many more children when arrangements can be made.

Later in the day, we also went out Carrefour, the epicenter area of the quake, to hold a follow-up meeting with one of our key partners, Pastor Fritz. 


Scott Vair listens as Pastor Fritz tells of the destruction of his home.

Pastor Bataille based his sermon this morning on Lamentations 3:1-23.  These words took on a whole new meaning for us as we realized that the people of Haiti are living this scripture.  The pastor’s message to them:  do not despair…the goodness of God is never finished.  For today, HORT will let these photos, and this scripture, speak for our team.

Lamentations 3:1-23

I am the man who has seen affliction
       by the rod of his wrath.

 2 He has driven me away and made me walk 
       in darkness rather than light;

 3 indeed, he has turned his hand against me
       again and again, all day long.

 4 He has made my skin and my flesh grow old
       and has broken my bones.

 5 He has besieged me and surrounded me
       with bitterness and hardship.

 6 He has made me dwell in darkness
       like those long dead.

 7 He has walled me in so I cannot escape;
       he has weighed me down with chains.

 8 Even when I call out or cry for help,
       he shuts out my prayer.

 9 He has barred my way with blocks of stone;
       he has made my paths crooked.

 10 Like a bear lying in wait,
       like a lion in hiding,

 11 he dragged me from the path and mangled me
       and left me without help.

 12 He drew his bow
       and made me the target for his arrows.

 13 He pierced my heart
       with arrows from his quiver.

 14 I became the laughingstock of all my people;
       they mock me in song all day long.

 15 He has filled me with bitter herbs
       and sated me with gall.

 16 He has broken my teeth with gravel;
       he has trampled me in the dust.

 17 I have been deprived of peace;
       I have forgotten what prosperity is.

 18 So I say, "My splendor is gone
       and all that I had hoped from the LORD."

 19 I remember my affliction and my wandering,
       the bitterness and the gall.

 20 I well remember them,
       and my soul is downcast within me.

 21 Yet this I call to mind
       and therefore I have hope:

 22 Because of the LORD's great love we are not consumed,
       for his compassions never fail.

 23 They are new every morning;
       great is your faithfulness.


Imagine a child living here,


Jen Gash of Sweet Sleep listens as Junior Bataille decribes the beds needed for these children at his orphanage.


A baby naps in the courtyard of tent village at a church.


These three orphans, cousins, could not seem to smile despite our efforts to amuse them.

No comments:

Post a Comment